Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

IT'S TIME

The time came sooner than I thought it would!  Nooo...not time for Battley...that's on Thursday...time to tell this story!  I suppose I can laugh about it now...it took a while!

Where to start?  I guess I decided that this is actually something I can laugh at last week...Hayden loves basketball (along with every other sport) and is fascinated with Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.  We have all the Magic/Bird stuff ever to come on the TV saved on our DVR if you get bored.  A new show came on last week called The Announcement (very good show by the way).  It was about when Magic found out he has HIV and had to retire from the NBA.  He made a comment during the show that I'm sure we can all relate to.  It was something like this: there I was smiling on the outside for everyone like everything was fine...knowing on the inside that I was in the middle of a crisis.

Pretty soon after we found out what was going on with our precious little girl I was surely feeling like that.  I suppose that all the pressure just got to me one day and I snapped!  As my friend Judene said, I had my CYBIL MOMENT!  I was really scared after it happened that it would happen again...I'm happy to report that as far as I know I've minded my good manners since.  So here goes...

Hayden was playing an indoor soccer game (yep...some of you reading this are saying to yourselves...I already know where this is going!) that was getting rather chippy.  Adam, according to Adam, grew up playing this kind of soccer so he doesn't think it's as big of a deal as the rest of the world.  Anyways, Hayden had been fouled without a call a few times and I could tell from his face that he was getting very irritated.  You know how you just know your kiddos and their moods by a look they give?  

So there I am sitting on the bleachers and look over to see a kid on the other team punch H in the back of the neck. 

SNAP!

You have never seen a mother hen fly up like I did...I knew what was coming!  I was off those bleachers before H knew what hit him.  H turned around and punched back!  SO unlike him, but he had had enough!  He was also probably feeling a little like I was.

Now normally I am the mom/coach's wife (yeah...that's right...Adam's the coach...that kinda makes this worse) who cheers for all the kiddos...no negative comments.

I can't remember everything that happened in the next few moments...let me just tell you about what I do remember:
marching around the soccer field like a mad woman 
pointing my finger in a grown man's face and yelling
yelling at the ref that the other kid needed to be thrown out of the game

Now let me show you what I probably looked like:

I turned around from yelling at the ref and saw Hayden's face...

SNAP!
 
no...not snap back to normal...snap back to GET OUT OF THIS BUILDING AS FAST AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE I'M GONNA BOO-HOO!

I made a dash for the bleachers to get my keys and out to the car I went...followed by sobbing in the car until someone came to make sure I was gonna make it.  I finally dried it up after a few and we went home.

Looking back now I am so thankful that this was the only "moment" I had.

You would think that that was the end of the story...but NOOOO! 

The next night we went to a Christmas music program at our church's downtown location.  When we were walking in I saw a grandmother from our soccer team who had been sitting next to me on the bleachers.  We had one of those look at each other...I know I know you...how do I know you...kind of moments.  She figured it out first.

Here is what she said: "Oh, you're the soccer mom!"

Now, let me tell you what I heard: "OH my goodness...here is this heathen, crazy soccer momma who has probably never set foot into a church...Lord, help her"

Talk about mortified!

But in all this I keep going back to what my mom always says: Chin up...Drive on!

All I can do now is hope that I wasn't wearing my kinda see-thru pants that day!  HA!

C

2 comments:

  1. Was this at the Flowood Y? You know Derick helps with that program. Do I need to have a word with him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! It was. The ref could not have been nicer actually.

    ReplyDelete